Saturday 8 October 2022

Tonight Is Today (Jean Harlow)

On the 15th October 2022 my short story collection, Candescent Blooms, is being published by Salt Publishing. I've previously posted here with regards to the background to the collection, and the fact that twelve Hollywood actors whose lives ended prematurely are the main characters in each of the twelve stories. As stated in that post, the intention in the run-up to publication is to focus on each actor with some snippets of information (both about them and the writing of their stories). These posts will follow the same format for each. Our fifth character is Jean Harlow.





1: the reason for the title of the story

Jean Harlow wrote a novel, Today Is Tonight. I liked the idea of reversing it. Sometimes these things seem to fit without thinking too much about them. It works for me.


2: why I chose that actor

Jean unfortunately died at the age of 26 of kidney failure.


3: one 'gift' that enhanced the story

Film producer Anthony Asquith's aristocratic mother, Margot, met Jean at a party. Without realising Margot rhymes with escargot, Jean repeatedly pronounced a hard t. Lady Asquith confirmed the letter to be silent, just as in Jean’s surname...This suggestion of Jean's loose morals runs as a motif throughout the story.


4: one thing I never knew about them

What immediately springs to mind is the novel Jean wrote, but I've mentioned that above, so I'll add that in Howard Hughes' film, "Hell's Angels", starring Jean, three stunt pilots and a mechanic died in accidents during filming.


5: an extract from the story

Other times she might be the actress Jean Harlow, wearing a white silk chiffon gown, standing on a white bearskin rug in front of a fireplace mantle decorated with candelabras and a clock, or perhaps the actress Jean Harlow, wearing a white silk chiffon gown, curled up on a white mink fur wrap draped over a damask wing chair, or maybe the actress Jean Harlow, wearing a white silk chiffon gown, striding through the forest with a brace of white possum pelts over one shoulder. Always chiffon, always white.


6: what music I listened to whilst I wrote it.

I wrote the entirety of this story listening to one song on repeat: "I Wish You Were Fun" by Sparks. There's humour in this song that I think Jean might appreciate.




Buy Candescent Blooms here.

No comments:

Post a Comment