Saturday 1 October 2022

The Ice-Cream Blonde (Thelma Todd)

On the 15th October 2022 my short story collection, Candescent Blooms, is being published by Salt Publishing. I've previously posted here with regards to the background to the collection, and the fact that twelve Hollywood actors whose lives ended prematurely are the main characters in each of the twelve stories. As stated in that post, the intention in the run-up to publication is to focus on each actor with some snippets of information (both about them and the writing of their stories). These posts will follow the same format for each. Our fourth character is Thelma Todd.





1: the reason for the title of the story

Thelma was often referred to by the nicknames "The Ice-Cream Blonde" and "Hot Toddy", the former sounding much better as a story title than the latter!

 

2: why I chose that actor

Thelma's death of carbon monoxide poisoning whilst sleeping in her car was open to a lot of speculation. Was it suicide, accidental, or arranged? She did have links with the mob. So there was a lot of material here, but ultimately I wanted to write about Thelma because of her films with Laurel & Hardy. I adore the exchange she has with Laurel (who is dressed as a maid) in "Another Fine Mess".


3: one 'gift' that enhanced the story

The speculation around the circumstances of her death and those who contributed - whether by doing something or by doing nothing - lent the story to be told from multiple viewpoints. The overall feeling is of a crime story, and allowing witnesses to speak and then to undermine their statements - as you will find when reading the story - reinforces the idea that we are all unreliable witnesses.


4: one thing I never knew about them

Thelma Todd was an astute businesswoman and ran The Sidewalk Cafe, an establishment that attracted a diverse clientele of Hollywood celebrities and many tourists.


5: an extract from the story

Before I sleep, tell me something. Why are you conducting my interview in this vehicle? You say it’s not for Photoplay? You say it’s research for Carbon Monoxide Monthly on the devastating effects of colorless, odorless, tasteless gas? That this isn’t some kind of joke?


6: what music I listened to whilst I wrote it.

I wrote this story whilst listening to the Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds album, Push The Sky Away. I don't often write to Cave, because usually his forthright vocal style and storytelling lyrics intrude on the story that I want to tell, but when I do so it is always to this album. There's something about it that I find gentle and evocative.


Buy Candescent Blooms here.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like an excellent premise for the stories. I’ll follow this with interest.

    ReplyDelete