Saturday 22 October 2022

The Good Girl (Carole Lombard)

My short story collection, Candescent Blooms,  was published by Salt Publishing recently. I've previously posted here with regards to the background to the collection, and the fact that twelve Hollywood actors whose lives ended prematurely are the main characters in each of the twelve stories. As stated in that post, the intention is to focus on each actor with some snippets of information (both about them and the writing of their stories). These posts will follow the same format for each. Our sixth character is Carole Lombard.





1: the reason for the title of the story

Unlike some of her contemporaries, Lombard's image was rarely tarnished by salacious gossip. I can't find the reference now, but I'm sure she was referred to somewhere as The Good Girl. I approach her life in this story from two angles, what was, and what might have been if she was a bad girl.

 

2: why I chose that actor

Unfortunately Carole Lombard died in a plane crash at the age of 33.


3: one 'gift' that enhanced the story

In the film No Man Of Her Own, in which Carole starred with Clark Gable, Gable's character flips a coin to decide if he will marry her. He does. Seven years later, in real life, Carole and Clark do get married. On the evening of her death, she tosses a coin to determine whether she should travel by train or plane. She is hasty to return to Gable's side. The coin determines the plane.


4: one thing I never knew about them

Quite simply that she was married to Clark Gable.


5: an extract from the story

I paid for this flight with a single coin.


6: what music I listened to whilst I wrote it.

I wrote the entirety of this story whilst listening to the album "Sex O'Clock" by Anita Lane. It's a great piece of work. Unfortunately Anita died last year at the age of 61. Another candescent bloom.


Buy Candescent Blooms here.

No comments:

Post a Comment