Tuesday 20 December 2022

My Writing Year 2022

As has become annual I thought I'd write a quick blog post as to my literary achievements during 2022.

Starting with short fiction, I wrote the following stories: "The Enfilade", "Content", "Keepers" and "An Absence of Ghosts". This is a further reduction of output in writing short fiction that has continued over the past few years, but it's not like I haven't been busy and I'm not complaining, because in addition to those stories I co-wrote the time travel novel, "Secondhand Daylight" with Eugen Bacon, and also have just finished the first draft of another short novel, "Observations In Tenderness". I would therefore estimate I've written 100,000 words of new fiction this year.

I sold five short stories this year. "The Malaise Trap" as a standalone chapbook published in a dual language edition by Brazillian publisher, Raphus Press, "The Natural Environment" to the Ballardian anthology, "Reports From The Deep End", edited by Maxim Jakubowski and Rick McGrath to be published by Titan Books, "The Enfilade" to the final issue of Black Static magazine, "Keepers" to "At The Lighthouse" anthology, edited by Sophie Essex for Eibonvale Press, and "An Absence of Ghosts" will appear in an edition of Theaker's Quarterly Fiction.

The following three stories were published this year: "Something To Believe In" within the anthology, "Crossing The Tees #5", "Throttle Body" as a standalone chapbook through nightjar press, and "The Malaise Trap" as described above in a beautiful edition from Raphus Press.

The big news is that in March this year I sold my Hollywood-death-themed short story collection, "Candescent Blooms" to Salt Publishing, and it appeared in October, garnering wide plaudits including an extensive five star review from The Telegraph. But in addition to that, the aforementioned collaborative novel, "Secondhand Daylight", has subsequently been sold to Cosmic Egg Books and will be published in October 2023. So good news on the book front.

With my publishing hat on, Head Shot Press published four books in 2022. These were the novels "Debris" by Andrew Humphrey and "The Clutches of Mimi Bouchard" by John Travis, and the short story collections "A Punch To The Heart" by Andrew Humphrey and "Death Has A Thousand Faces" by Maxim Jakubowksi. I have also edited the crime noir anthology, "Bang!", which will be published by Head Shot in 2023. The dedicated website for the press can be found here.

I also have a handful of stories awaiting publication that were originally accepted in previous years, and a few other projects are also under consideration by various agents/publishers, as they were last year. 

So that's it for 2022. I have a few things in mind already for next year and am looking to see where they take me. Onwards!

2 comments: