Saturday 10 September 2022

Memories of Olive (Olive Thomas)

On the 15th October 2022 my short story collection, Candescent Blooms, is being published by Salt Publishing. I've previously posted here with regards to the background to the collection, and the fact that twelve Hollywood actors whose lives ended prematurely are the main characters in each of the twelve stories. As stated in that post, the intention in the run-up to publication is to focus on each actor with some snippets of information (both about them and the writing of their stories). These posts will follow the same format for each. Our first character is Olive Thomas.




1: the reason for the title of the story

"Memories of Olive" is the title of a painting of Olive Thomas by Alberto Vargas. It's referenced in her story, and can be viewed below.


2: why I chose that actor

Unfortunately, Olive Thomas accidentally poisoned herself after ingesting her husband's syphilis medication, mercury dichloride in a Paris hotel room. Speculation over the circumstances and media sensationalism led to this being one of the first scandals to sweep the nation which was related to a major Hollywood star.


3: one 'gift' that enhanced the story

Olive is purported to have cried out "Oh, my God!" after realising she had drank the medication. I use the same phrase to punctuate each aspect of her life, so that it represents both joy and sorrow.


4: one thing I never knew about them

The ghost of Olive Thomas is reported to haunt the New Amsterdam Theatre in New York City.


5: an extract from the story

Jack pulls me backwards into the bedroom. He reaches for the telephone and calls for a doctor. Back in the bathroom Jack fills glass after glass with water. He separates egg whites from yolk and forces the mixture down my throat. He jams his fist in my mouth. Olive. I love. Olive. I love.


6: what music I listened to whilst I wrote it.

I wrote "Memories of Olive" whilst listening to the album, "Gravity Pulls", by Echobelly on repeat. This is a favourite album of mine to write to. It's perfect for setting a scene.


Buy Candescent Blooms here.

No comments:

Post a Comment